||A WebQuest for 2nd Grade (Science)
Gwinnett County AKS Curriculum Standards Addressed
2nd Grade Science
Demonstrate knowledge of scientific processes and inquiry methods (GPS) (2SC_A2007-2)
2a - collect data and test hypotheses
2b - raise questions and seek answers using observation and measurement skills
2e - recognize that all kinds of people can be and are scientists
Investigate the properties of matter and changes that occur in objects (GPS) (2SC_C2007-10)
10a - identify three states of matter (solid, liquid, gas) and sort materials according to their state
10d - recognize variables that change matter (mixing, heating, freezing, cutting, wetting, dissolving, bending, exposing to light)
- Classifying/sorting information
- Recording observations on a chart/table
- Analyzing findings
- Technology: Inspiration software, interactive website
What is matter?
- What are the 3 main states of matter?
- What are example materials for each state of matter?
- How can temperature change the state of matter of an object?
You can choose to do these tasks as a class, individually, or with partners, depending on the available computer resources and how comfortable the students with computers.
- Learn about Matter
- Solid, Liquid, or Gas? (sorting activity in Inspiration)
- Changing Matter (experiment activity using interactive website)
Credits & References
American Water Works Association
Webster, Christine. (2005). Matter. Minnesota: Capstone Press.
Zoehfeld, Kathleen W. (1998). What is the world made of? All about solids, liquids, and gases. New York, NY: HarperCollins.